At the Flying Bull Academy we are committed to raising the participation levels for our children in sporting and extra-curricular activities. Last year 43% of children in Key Stage 1 were involved with extra curricular activities and 69% of children in Key Stage 2. Our other priorities are encouraging greater activity levels through a quality PE curriculum (which is taught by well-trained teachers) and through an engaging play environment.
Our use of the sports premium money for the Academic Year 2017/18 reflects this commitment (see below), while looking to offer a range of sporting activities to engage as many children across the academy as possible, as well as develop the skill sets of staff to deliver the best PE provision possible.
To see the summary (including intended impact) of the sports premium budget for 2018/19 click here or see the bottom of this page.
We allocated funding to the following areas for the academic year 2017/18 (impact explained in the Sports Premium Spend 2017-18 document below):
- A Sports Service Level Agreement with Portsmouth City Council – This provides a range of quality professional development opportunities for staff, access to tournaments and competitions for children to enter in a range of sports and strategic support in providing sporting opportunities in school. Cost - £4700
- A morning sports club every week – This is provided free of charge to children and was run by Mr. Povey and Mr. Dale. This club engaged children in physical activity before school once a week. Total cost - £800
- Streetdance Club – Specialist dance coaching provided as a club, provided free of charge to children. Cost - £25 per session for 1 term. (Total cost - £250)
- Cheerleading Club – A term of cheerleading that led to a competition at the end of the term. These sessions were provided free of charge to children. Cost - £25 per session. (Total cost - £250)
- Football club to Years 1, 2 & 3 - Two specialist coaches to deliver a weekly after-school football club free of charge to the children. Cost - £70 per session. (Total cost - £1960)
- Sports Resources – Money was spent on sports resources as we renewed a range of equipment from footballs to tennis nets. Cost - £2687
- 0.5 day release for PE Co-ordinator to plan PE lessons - We spent a portion of the money on release time for our PE co-ordinator to co-ordinate planning for Years 1 - 6. Cost - £320
- Rental of external screens - We rent screens which are situated in the playground to encourage children to follow the dance/activities during school break and lunchtimes. Cost - £4428
- Playground markings - A roadway was painted in the playground to support children with our Daily Mile initiative. Cost - £2066
- Scootability - Children in Key Stage 1 were trained in Scootability to improve their awareness of safety when out in the community on their scooters. - Cost - £450
- Quadruple Woodland Tower - We used the remainder of the money to contribute to the playground equipment for KS2 children. Cost - £1599