Our Governing body:
- Works in conjunction with the Head Teacher
- Conducts their work mainly through committees and meetings lead by members of the governing body, with guidance from the Head Teacher and the relevant paperwork
- Makes decisions collectively as a team, specific committees or individuals
- Works with a scheme of delegation from the Board of Trustees of The University of Chichester Academy Trust. For details of the board of trustees please click here.
- Ensure a high standard of educational attainment
- Oversee the school budget, including staffing and pay levels
- Maintain a balanced curriculum, particularly that the National Curriculum and Religious Education are taught
- Review and question reports on test results and pupils continuing achievement in National Curriculum assessments
- Partake in the appointment of senior staff (including the Head Teacher) and govern staff conduct and discipline
- Accept widespread responsibility for the conduct of the school
- Formulate targets for pupil achievement
- Draft action plans after an Ofsted inspection
All of the governors at The Flying Bull Academy are appointed by Chichester Academy Trust. For information of the names of any committee the governor serves on, positions of responsibility and their term of office please click here
Unless explicitly detailed alongside the name of the governor, the governor has declared no business or financial interests that impacts The Flying Bull Academy.
The representatives of the Governing Body are:
Viv Kies (Acting Headteacher)
Viv is the Acting Headteacher of Flying Bull Academy.
She has worked over 20 years teaching experience and has worked within the Academy Trust since 2014. She has experience of working as a Special Needs Coordinator and Deputy Headteacher in a range of schools.
Viv is passionate about quality education for all and truly believes that education has the power to change outcomes and open doors for individuals.
Viv enjoys walking, running, being by or in the sea and generally being out in the fresh air - whatever the weather!
Chair of Governors
My Name is Cheryl Letts and the Year 6 governor.
I have worked in education for over 35 years! I started life as a secondary school teacher up in the Midlands, and I worked at the University of Chichester from 1997 as a lecturer in Physical Education, and in recent times I led the School Direct teacher training route for both Primary and Secondary age.
My passion is to see children and young people inspired by great teachers and being given the opportunities to believe they can all achieve throughout their school life.
As Chair of Governor at The Flying Bull Academy, it is a privilege to work alongside such a dedicated and talented staff team who are committed to wanting the very best for every child in the school.
I love sport, especially football, and have been a lifelong supporter of a team in blue (sorry not Pompey!). Also, I enjoy travel, walking, cooking, and reading, and have a large, lazy, ginger cat!
Vice Chair of Governors
Hi, I'm Peter Marcus.
I have a background in youth work and charity governance, having run Portsmouth's youth council for a number of years. I am a Scout leader at nearby 48th Portsmouth Scouts, meeting at Buckland Community Centre.
I am also a trustee for a number of charities including The Scouts and homeless aid charity; Don't Hate, Donate.