Our Governing body:
- Works in conjunction with the Head Teacher
- Conducts their work mainly through committees and meetings lead by members of the governing body, with guidance from the Head Teacher and the relevant paperwork
- Makes decisions collectively as a team, specific committees or individuals
- Works with a scheme of delegation from the Board of Trustees of The University of Chichester Academy Trust. For details of the board of trustees please click here.
- Ensure a high standard of educational attainment
- Oversee the school budget, including staffing and pay levels
- Maintain a balanced curriculum, particularly that the National Curriculum and Religious Education are taught
- Review and question reports on test results and pupils continuing achievement in National Curriculum assessments
- Partake in the appointment of senior staff (including the Head Teacher) and govern staff conduct and discipline
- Accept widespread responsibility for the conduct of the school
- Formulate targets for pupil achievement
- Draft action plans after an Ofsted inspection
All of the governors at The Flying Bull Academy are appointed by Chichester Academy Trust. For information of the names of any committee the governor serves on, positions of responsibility and their term of office please click here
Unless explicitly detailed alongside the name of the governor, the governor has declared no business or financial interests that impacts The Flying Bull Academy.
The representatives of the Governing Body are:
Deamonn is also on the board of Directors of the University of Chichester Academy Trust. His husband and nephew also work at The Flying Bull Academy.
My Name is Cheryl Letts and the Year 6 governor.
I have worked in education for over 35 years! I started life as a secondary school teacher up in the Midlands, and I worked at the University of Chichester from 1997 as a lecturer in Physical Education, and in recent times I led the School Direct teacher training route for both Primary and Secondary age.
My passion is to see children and young people inspired by great teachers and being given the opportunities to believe they can all achieve throughout their school life.
As Chair of Governor at The Flying Bull Academy, it is a privilege to work alongside such a dedicated and talented staff team who are committed to wanting the very best for every child in the school.
I love sport, especially football, and have been a lifelong supporter of a team in blue (sorry not Pompey!). Also, I enjoy travel, walking, cooking, and reading, and have a large, lazy, ginger cat!
My name is Luke Needham, I have lived in Portsmouth for most of my life. I have 5 children with one of them still attending The Flying Bull Academy. They enjoy it thoroughly.
I am passionate about attendance and believe that every single child should be able to access our education system. I feel that school is not just a place to learn Maths and English but is also a place where children can grow socially and emotionally and are guided to be the best that they can be.
Luke’s wife works at The Flying Bull Academy
Hi, I'm Peter Marcus.
I have a background in youth work and charity governance, having run Portsmouth's youth council for a number of years. I am a Scout leader at nearby 48th Portsmouth Scouts, meeting at Buckland Community Centre.
I am also a trustee for a number of charities including The Scouts and homeless aid charity; Don't Hate, Donate.
Debra Laxton - (Appointed by the LGB)
Debra has spent the whole of her career, spanning over thirty years, involved in the care and education of young children. She worked in schools and nurseries within the London Borough of Hounslow before moving to West Sussex and working in a Nursery School and Children Centre. She then moved to the Further Education Sector within the Childhood Studies department and now works as Early Childhood Lead & Senior Lecturer supporting trainee teachers at the University of Chichester.
Debra is passionate about the importance of reflective practice and supporting trainee teachers, teachers and early years practitioners to gain the knowledge, skills and experience to develop practice and improve experiences and outcomes for children. Debra takes a keen interest in the areas of attachment theory and engaging all parents and carers, aware of the positive impact this can have on mental well-being and academic achievement for children.
Debra enjoys walking and has two spaniels that ensure she gets plenty of exercise in all weathers! She is currently walking 700km of the Camino de Santiago in Northern Spain (in stages and without dogs).
I am excited to be working as a Governor at the Flying Bull Academy. The school community work hard to inspire each other and create an inspiring learning space for all and I am privileged to be a small part of this.
David Sheppard - (Parent Governor - Appointed by the LGB)
The following Governors do not have voting rights on any of the governing body committees: