SUMMER READING CHALLENGE 2020
Sign up from Friday 5th June 2020
The Summer Reading Challenge takes place over the summer holidays throughout the UK. It is the UK’s biggest free reading promotion for primary-aged children. Every year, more and more children at Flying Bull have entered and completed the challenge. You may remember the tea party that Mrs Churchill organised for the 42 successful children.
Reading continues to be a key priority at the academy and we would encourage families to do everything they can by reading to their children and with their children. This Summer Reading Challenge has really motivated our children in the past to continue reading over the summer months.
- Children sign up to the easy-to-use website and create their own profile at sillysquad.org.uk from 5th June onwards.
- They set their own challenge to read any amount of books during the Challenge, with children being encouraged to read anything that makes them happy – whether it be comics, joke books, poetry, fiction or non-fiction; in digital or print format; from e-book lending through the public library service or from what they already have at home.
- Each time they finish a book, they add it to their profile and write a review. They are rewarded with activities and incentives along the way, such as online badges, games and videos.
- Families are encouraged to join in and ‘Get Silly’ with downloadable activities, games, quizzes and more. With new content to enjoy each week, the fun will continue throughout the summer to keep families engaged.
- They receive a downloadable certificate once they’ve completed their challenge!